Warning: Dangerous Cleaning Chemical Combinations
Don’t Mix These Chemicals!
Making your own cleaning solution can be a cost-effective way to clean many areas of your home. While common products might work on their own, there are some dangerous cleaning chemical combinations that can cause severe health issues and damage your home. Read on to learn about the chemicals you should never mix together.
Dangerous Cleaning Chemical Combinations
- Bleach and Ammonia: Mixing bleach that contains sodium hypochlorite with ammonia or cleaners containing ammonia can produce toxic chloramine vapor, which can cause respiratory issues, eye irritation, and even chemical burns.
- Bleach and Vinegar: Mixing bleach with vinegar produces chlorine gas: a highly toxic substance that can cause severe respiratory problems and other health issues.
- Bleach and Hydrogen Peroxide: Combining bleach with hydrogen peroxide can result in the formation of peracetic acid, a corrosive and potentially harmful chemical that causes respiratory distress, skin burns, and eye irritation.
- Bleach and Rubbing Alcohol: Mixing bleach with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) produces chloroform, a hazardous substance that can cause dizziness, nausea, unconsciousness, and organ damage.
- Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar: Mixing hydrogen peroxide and vinegar creates peracetic acid, which can irritate the respiratory system, eyes, and skin, and may cause damage to surfaces.
- Different Acidic Cleaners: Mixing different acidic cleaners, such as those containing vinegar, lemon juice, or citric acid, can lead to the release of toxic gases or chemical reactions that can cause bodily harm and harm to your home.
Call a health professional right away should you be exposed to any of those mixtures. Also, be sure to warn any professional cleaners who come into your home of any chemicals you have used to ensure everyone stays safe.
Skip the Risk and Call JDog Carpet Cleaning & Floor Care.
The Veterans and Military family members at JDog Carpet Cleaning & Floor Care are ready to safely approach any cleaning project in your home, from flooring to tile and siding to upholstery. You can count on us to show up on time and in uniform, and we won’t stop working until your home is cleaned to our high standards. Call us today at JDog Carpet Cleaning & Floor Care for a free quote.